[Numpy-discussion] NEP 21: Simplified and explicit advanced indexing

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 01:34:30 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:22 PM Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> We certainly could make the conservative choice of only adopting 4 for now
>> and leaving further cleanup for later. I guess this uncertainty about
>> whether direct indexing should be more like vindex[] or oindex[] in the
>> long term is a good argument for holding off on other warnings for now. But
>> I think we are almost certainly going to want to make further
>> warnings/deprecations of some form.
>>

> I'd prefer 4, could be talked into 3, but any higher is not a good idea, I
> don't think.

OK, I think 4 is the safe option for now.

Eventually, I want either 1 or 3. But:
- We don't agree yet on whether the right long-term solution would be for
[] to support vectorized indexing, outer indexing or neither.
- This will certainly cause some amount of churn, so let's save it for
later when vindex/oindex are widely used and libraries don't need to worry
about whether they're available or not they are available in all NumPy
versions they support.