[Numpy-discussion] Permissable NumPy logo usage

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 15:28:33 EST 2018

I don't know the history of the NumPy logo, or who officially owns the
rights to NumPy's branding at this point. In principle, that might be
NumFOCUS, but the logo far predates NumFOCUS and NumFOCUS's fiscal
sponsorship of NumPy. Looking at the Git history, it looks like David
Cournapeau added it to NumPy's repo back in 2009:
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/commit/c5b2f31aeafa32c705f87f5801a952e394063a3d

Just speaking for myself, I think this use for NumPy's logo and name is
appropriate and within community norms. I don't think anyone would be
confuse your project with NumPy or assume any sort of official endorsement.