[Numpy-discussion] UC Berkeley hiring developers to work on NumPy

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon May 15 04:43:07 EDT 2017

Hi,

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 10:56 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 11:45 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As some of you know, I've been working for... quite some time now to
>> try to secure funding for NumPy. So I'm excited that I can now
>> officially announce that BIDS [1] is planning to hire several folks
>> specifically to work on NumPy. These will full time positions at UC
>> Berkeley, postdoc or staff, with probably 2 year (initial) contracts,
>> and the general goal will be to work on some of the major priorities
>> we identified at the last dev meeting: more flexible dtypes, better
>> interoperation with other array libraries, paying down technical debt,
>> and so forth. Though I'm sure the details will change as we start to
>> dig into things and engage with the community.
>>
>> More details soon; universities move slowly, so nothing's going to
>> happen immediately. But this is definitely happening and I wanted to
>> get something out publicly before the conference season starts – so if
>> you're someone who might be interested in coming to work with me and
>> the other awesome folks at BIDS, then this is a heads-up: drop me a
>> line and we can chat! I'll be at PyCon next week if anyone happens to
>> be there. And feel free to spread the word.
>

> Excellent news. Do you have any sort of timeline in mind?
>
> It will be interesting to see what changes this leads to, both in the code
> and in the project sociology.

I was thinking the same thing - if this does come about, it would
likely have a big impact on practical governance.  It could also mean
that more important development conversations happen off-list.   It
seems to me it would be good to plan for this consciously.

Cheers,

Matthew