[Numpy-discussion] NEP process update

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 03:41:38 EST 2017

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:58 PM, Jarrod Millman <millman at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> I was planning on looking at/working on the main doc generating system
> and the main webpage (for numpy and scipy) soon (over the winter
> break), but I didn't want to get too many things in the discussion
> right now.  My immediate interest is getting agreement on the first
> two items:
>
> - A purpose and process NEP based on PEP 1 and a few other projects.
> - A draft NEP template.

+1 thanks Jarrod. And thanks Nelle for offering to work on the automation!

Ralf

> I am ambivalent about whether we need a separate repo.  My immediate
> plan is start drafting text as a PR to numpy/doc/neps on Thursday
> (assuming no major objections arise before then).  That way we can
> discuss the NEP purpose/process and template docs, while I look into
> the build system.  I was imaging doing something similar to what I did
> for for networkx this summer:
>   https://networkx.github.io/
> The latest docs are autogenerated whenever a PR is merged into master:
>   https://networkx.github.io/documentation/latest/
>
> I will look into the scipy system as well and make sure we don't have
> an explosion of systems.

Note that the build/doc/release systems of numpy and scipy are ~95% common
(because they're mostly maintained by the same people), so syncing
improvements between numpy and scipy will almost always require the least
effort.

Ralf