[Numpy-discussion] Interface numpy arrays to Matlab?

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 29 14:52:47 EDT 2017

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 4:08 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Transplant sounds interesting, I think I could use this.  I don't
> understand though why nobody has used a more direct approach?  Matlab has
> their python API https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab-engine-for-
> python.html.  This will pass Matlab arrays to/from python as some kind of
> opaque blob.  I would guess that inside every Matlab array is a numpy array
> crying to be freed - in both cases an array is a block of memory together
> with shape and stride information.  So I would hope a direct conversion
> could be done, at least via C API if not directly with python numpy API.

I agree -- it is absolutley bizare that they havn'etr built in a numpy
array <-> matlab array mapping!

MAybe they do'nt want Matlb usres to realize that nmpy provides most of
what MATLAB does (but better :-) ) -- and want people to use Python with
MATlab for other pytonic stuff that MATLAB doesn't do well....

but they do provide a mapping for array.array:

https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_external/use-python-array-array-types.html

which is a buffer you can wrap a numpy array around efficiently....

odd that you'd have to write that code.

-CHB

> But it seems nobody has done this, so maybe it's not that simple?
>

> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 5:32 PM Gregory Lee <grlee77 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have not used Transplant, but it sounds fairly similar to
>> Python-matlab-bridge.  We currently optionally call Matlab via
>> Python-matlab-bridge in some of the the tests for the PyWavelets package.
>>
>> https://arokem.github.io/python-matlab-bridge/
>> https://github.com/arokem/python-matlab-bridge
>>
>> I would be interested in hearing about the benefits/drawbacks relative to
>> Transplant if there is anyone who has used both.
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 4:29 PM, CJ Carey <perimosocordiae at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like Transplant can handle this use-case.
>>>
>>> Blog post: http://bastibe.de/2015-11-03-matlab-engine-performance.html
>>> GitHub link: https://github.com/bastibe/transplant
>>>
>>> I haven't given it a try myself, but it looks promising.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov