[Numpy-discussion] proposal: smaller representation of string arrays

Francesc Alted faltet at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 07:38:06 EDT 2017

> So while compression+ucs-4 might be OK for out-of-core representation,
> what about in-core?  blosc+ucs-4?  I don't think that works for mmap, does
> it?

​Correct, the real problem is mmap for an out-of-core, HDF5 representation,
I presume.

For in-memory, there are several compressed data containers, like:

https://github.com/alimanfoo/zarr (meant mainly for multidimensional data
containers)
https://github.com/Blosc/bcolz​ (meant mainly for tabular data containers)

​(there might be others).​

>>> I actually agree with you. I think it's mostly a matter of convenience
>>> that h5py matched up HDF5 dtypes with numpy dtypes:
>>> fixed width ASCII -> np.string_/bytes
>>> variable length ASCII -> object arrays of np.string_/bytes
>>> variable length UTF-8 -> object arrays of unicode
>>>
>>> This was tenable in a Python 2 world, but on Python 3 it's broken and
>>> there's not an easy fix.
>>>
>>> We absolutely could fix h5py by mapping everything to object arrays of
>>> Python unicode strings, as has been discussed (
>>> https://github.com/h5py/h5py/pull/871). For fixed width UTF-8, this
>>> would be a fine but non-ideal solution, since there is currently no fixed
>>> width UTF-8 support.
>>>
>>> For fixed width ASCII arrays, this would mean increased convenience for
>>> Python 3 users, at the price of decreased convenience for Python 2 users
>>> (arrays now contain boxed Python objects), unless we made the h5py behavior
>>> dependent on the version of Python. Hence, we're back here, waiting for
>>> better dtypes for encoded strings.
>>>
>>> So for HDF5, I see good use cases for ASCII-with-surrogateescape (for
>>> handling ASCII arrays as strings) and UTF-8 with length equal to the number
>>> of bytes.
>>>

>> Well, I'll say upfront that I have not read this discussion in the fully,
>> but apparently some opinions from developers of HDF5 Python packages would
>> be welcome here, so here I go :) ​
>>
>> As a long-time developer of one of the Python HDF5 packages (PyTables), I
>> have always been of the opinion that plain ASCII (for byte strings) and
>> UCS-4 (for Unicode) encoding would be the appropriate dtypes​ for storing
>> large amounts of data, most specially for disk storage (but also using
>> compressed in-memory containers).  My rational is that, although UCS-4 may
>> require way too much space, compression would reduce that to basically the
>> space that is required by compressed UTF-8 (I won't go into detail, but
>> basically this is possible by using the shuffle filter).
>>
>> I remember advocating for UCS-4 adoption in the HDF5 library many years
>> ago (2007?), but I had no success and UTF-8 was decided to be the best
>> candidate.  So, the boat with HDF5 using UTF-8 sailed many years ago, and I
>> don't think there is a go back (not even adding UCS-4 support on it,
>> although I continue to think it would be a good idea).  So, I suppose that
>> if HDF5 is found to be an important format for NumPy users (and I think
>> this is the case), a solution for representing Unicode characters by using
>> UTF-8 in NumPy would be desirable (at the risk of making the implementation
>> more complex).
>>
>> ​Francesc

>> --
>> Francesc Alted