[Numpy-discussion] Fwd: [numfocus] Grants up to $3k available to NumFOCUS projects (sponsored & affiliated)

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 3 07:28:22 EDT 2017

On 31.03.2017 16:07, Julian Taylor wrote:
> On 31.03.2017 15:51, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>> On Mar 31, 2017 1:15 AM, "Ralf Gommers" <ralf.gommers at gmail.com
>> <mailto:ralf.gommers at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:42 PM, Ralf Gommers
>>     <ralf.gommers at gmail.com <mailto:ralf.gommers at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>         On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:33 PM, Julian Taylor
>>         <jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
>>         <mailto:jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>             I have two ideas under one big important topic: make numpy
>>             python3
>>             compatible.
>>
>>             The first fits pretty well with the grant size and nobody
>>             wants to do it
>>             for free:
>>             - fix our text IO functions under python3 and support multiple
>>             encodings, not only latin1.
>>             Reasonably simple to do, slap encoding arguments on the
>>             functions,
>>             generate test cases and somehow keep backward compatibility.
>>             Some
>>             prelimary unfinished work is in
>>             https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/4208
>>             <https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/4208>
>>

>>         I like that idea, it's a recurring pain point. Are you
>>         interested to work on it, or are you thinking to advertise the
>>         idea here to see if anyone steps up?
>>

>>     More thoughts on this anyone? Or preferences for this idea or the
>>     numpy.org <http://numpy.org> one? Submission deadline is April 3rd
>>     and we can only put in one proposal this time, so we need to (a)
>>     make a choice between these ideas, and (b) write up a proposal.
>>
>>     If there's not enough replies to this so the choice is clear cut, I
>>     will send out a poll to the core devs.
>>

>> Do we have anyone interested in doing the work in either case? That
>> seems like the most important consideration to me...
>>
>> -n
>>

> I could do the textio thing if no one shows up for numpy.org. I can
> probably check again what is required in the next few days and write a
> proposal.
> The change will need reviewing in the end too, should that be
> compensated too? It feels weird if not.

I have decided to not do it, as it is more or less just a bugfix and I
currently do not feel capable of doing with added completion pressure.
But I have collected some of related issues and discussions:

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/4600
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/3184
http://numpy-discussion.10968.n7.nabble.com/using-loadtxt-to-load-a-text-file-in-to-a-numpy-array-tt35992.html#a36003
# loadtxt