[Numpy-discussion] __numpy_ufunc__

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 21:56:12 EDT 2016

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 7:03 PM, Stephan Hoyer <shoyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm happy to revisit the __numpy_ufunc__ discussion (I still want to see
> it happen!), but I don't recall scalars being a point of contention.

The __numpy_ufunc__ functionality is the last bit I want for 1.12.0, the
rest of the remaining changes I can kick forward to 1.13.0. I will start
taking a look tomorrow, probably starting with Nathaniel's work.

> The obvious thing to do with scalars would be to treat them the same as
> 0-dimensional arrays, though I might be missing some nuance...

That's my thought. Currently they just look at __array_priority__ and call
the corresponding array method if needed, so that maybe needs some
improvement and a formal statement of intent.

Chuck