[Numpy-discussion] Integers to integer powers, let's make a decision

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Jun 10 14:00:48 EDT 2016

On Jun 10, 2016 10:50, "Alan Isaac" <alan.isaac at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/10/2016 1:34 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>>
>> You keep pounding on this example. It's a fine example, but, c'mon. **2
is probably at least 100x more common in real source code. Maybe 1000x more
common. Why should we break the
>> common case for your edge case?
>

> It is hardly an "edge case".
> Again, **almost all** integer combinations overflow: that's the point.

When you say "almost all", you're assuming inputs that are uniformly
sampled integers. I'm much more interested in what proportion of calls to
the ** operator involve inputs that can overflow, and in real life those
inputs are very heavily biased towards small numbers.

(I also think we should default to raising an error on overflow in general,
with a seterr switch to turn it off when desired. But that's another
discussion...)

-n