[Numpy-discussion] Defining a base linux-64 environment [was: Should I use pip install numpy in linux?]

Robert McGibbon rmcgibbo at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 04:19:07 EST 2016

Hi all,

I followed Nathaniel's advice and restricted the search down to the
packages included in the Anaconda release (as opposed to all of the
packages in their repositories), and fixed some technical issues with the
way I was doing the analysis.

The new list is much smaller. Here are the shared libraries that the
components of Anaconda require that the system provides on Linux 64:

libpanelw.so.5, libncursesw.so.5, libgcc_s.so.1, libstdc++.so.6, libm.so.6,
libdl.so.2, librt.so.1, libcrypt.so.1, libc.so.6, libnsl.so.1,
libutil.so.1, libpthread.so.0, libX11.so.6, libXext.so.6,
libgobject-2.0.so.0, libgthread-2.0.so.0, libglib-2.0.so.0,
libXrender.so.1, libICE.so.6, libSM.so.6, libGL.so.1.

Many of these libraries are required simply for the interpreter. The
remaining ones that aren't required by the interpreter are, but are
required by some other package in Anaconda are:

libgcc_s.so.1, libstdc++.so.6, libXext.so.6, libSM.so.6,
libgthread-2.0.so.0, libgobject-2.0.so.0, libglib-2.0.so.0, libICE.so.6,
libXrender.so.1, and libGL.so.1.

Most of these are parts of X11 required by Qt (
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/linux-requirements.html).

-Robert