[Numpy-discussion] Should I use pip install numpy in linux?

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 8 18:27:31 EST 2016

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Robert McGibbon <rmcgibbo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the right path for numpy or not,

probably not -- AFAICT, the PyPa folks aren't interested in solving teh
problems we have in the scipy community -- we can tweak around the edges,
but we wont get there without a commitment to really solve the issues --
and if pip did that, it would essentially be conda -- non one wants to
re-impliment conda.

> Perhaps this is OT for this thread, and I should ask on distutils-sig.

there has been a lot of discussion of this issue on the distutils-sig in
the last couple months (quiet lately). So yes, that's the place to go.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov