[Numpy-discussion] Numexpr-3.0 proposal

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 01:28:30 EST 2016

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 11:19 PM, Robert McLeod <robbmcleod at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 4.) I took a stab at converting from distutils to setuputils but this
> seems challenging with numpy as a dependency. I wonder if anyone has tried
> monkey-patching so that setup.py build_ext uses distutils and then pass the
> interpreter.pyd/so as a data file, or some other such chicanery?

Not sure what you mean, since numpexpr already uses setuptools:
https://github.com/pydata/numexpr/blob/master/setup.py#L22. What is the
real goal you're trying to achieve?

This monkeypatching is a bad idea:
https://github.com/robbmcleod/numexpr/blob/numexpr-3.0/setup.py#L19. Both
setuptools and numpy.distutils already do that, and that's already one too
many. So you definitely don't want to add a third place.... You can use the
-j (--parallel) flag to numpy.distutils instead, see
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy-dev/user/building.html#parallel-builds

Ralf