[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.11.0b2 released

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Feb 5 18:24:37 EST 2016

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> > If we set up a numpy-testing conda channel, it could be used to cache
>> > binary builds for all he versions of everything we want to test
>> > against.
>> >
>> > Conda-build-all could make it manageable to maintain that channel.
>>
>> What would be the advantage of maintaining that channel ourselves instead
>> of using someone else's binary builds that already exist (e.g. Anaconda's,
>> or official project wheels)?
>
> other's binary wheels are only available for the versions that are
> supported. Usually the latest releases, but Anaconda doesn't always have the
> latest builds of everything.

True, though official project wheels will hopefully solve that soon.

> Maybe we want to test against matplotlib master (or a release candidate,
> or??), for instance.

Generally I think for numpy's purposes we want to test against the
latest released version, because it doesn't do end-users much good if
a numpy release breaks their environment, and the only fix is hiding
in some git repo somewhere :-). But yeah.

> And when we are testing a numpy-abi-breaking release, we'll need to have
> everything tested against that release.

There aren't any current plans to have such a release, but true.

-n