[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.11.0b2 released

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Feb 4 04:33:29 EST 2016

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 21:56:08 -0800
Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> An extra ~2 hours of tests / 6-way parallelism is not that big a deal
> in the grand scheme of things (and I guess it's probably less than
> that if we can take advantage of existing binary builds) -- certainly
> I can see an argument for enabling it by default on the
> maintenance/1.x branches. Running N extra test suites ourselves is not
> actually more expensive than asking N projects to run 1 more testsuite
> :-). The trickiest part is getting it to give actually-useful
> automated pass/fail feedback, as opposed to requiring someone to
> remember to look at it manually :-/

Yes, I think that's where the problem lies. Python had something called
"community buildbots" at a time (testing well-known libraries such as
Twisted against the Python trunk), but it suffered from lack of
attention and finally was dismantled. Apparently having the people
running it and the people most interested in it not being the same ones
ended up a bad idea :-)

That said, if you do something like that with Numpy, we would be
interested in having Numba be part of the tested packages.

Regards

Antoine.