[Numpy-discussion] How to trigger warnings for integer division in python 2

Stuart Berg stuarteberg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 11:29:29 EDT 2016

Hi,

To help people migrate their code bases from Python 2 to Python 3, the
python interpreter has a handy option '-3' that issues warnings at
runtime.  One of the warnings is for integer division:

$ echo "print 3/2" > /tmp/foo.py
$ python -3 /tmp/foo.py
/tmp/foo.py:1: DeprecationWarning: classic int division
  print 3/2
1

But no warnings are shown for division of numpy arrays, e.g. for a
statement like this:
print np.array([3]) / np.array([2])

I see that np.seterr can be used to issue certain types of division
warnings, but not this one.  Is there a way to activate integer division
warnings?  It would really help me migrate my application to Python 3.

Thanks,
Stuart