[Numpy-discussion] ANN: numtraits v0.2

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 23 20:10:20 EDT 2015

Hi Thomas

On 2015-09-23 09:39:00, Thomas Robitaille <thomas.robitaille at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have released a small experimental package called numtraits that
> builds on top of the traitlets package and provides a NumericalTrait
> class that can be used to validate properties such as:

This looks great!  At the moment, a pip install tries to install a
different version of NumPy, even though I already have the development
version on my tree.  In scikit-image, we use something like the
following in setup.py to prevent that from happening:

     # Do not try and upgrade larger dependencies
     INSTALL_REQUIRES = ['numpy', 'traitlets']
     try:
         __import__('numpy')
         INSTALL_REQUIRES = ['traitlets']
     except ImportError: