[Numpy-discussion] "Become an Open Source Contributor" workshop

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 23 18:23:46 EDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If you are going to do work at a terminal, I'd suggest using a library
> like doitlive (http://doitlive.readthedocs.org/en/latest/) so you can't
> make mistakes while still making it look like you are actually typing
> everything at a terminal.

This is pretty cool! And, I think perfect for a presentation or the like.

But for teaching, I find that one of the valuable things I do is make
mistakes at the command line (or iPython notebook, or editor...), and then
show the students how I discover and recover from the mistake...

just a thought....

-Chris

> You will also be able to share your exact terminal sessions with the
> students if they want to come back to it later.
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Stefan van der Walt <stefanv at berkeley.edu
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi Jaime
>>
>> On 2015-09-23 14:06:08, Jaime Fernández del Río <jaime.frio at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >    3. If you have organized anything similar in the past, and have
>> material
>> >    that I could use to, ahem, draw inspiration from, or recommendations
>> >    make, or whatever, I'd love to hear from you.
>>
>> Here's the new developer workflow page for scikit-image, I'm sure many
>> other projects have similar ones:
>>
>> http://scikit-image.org/docs/stable/contribute.html
>>
>> Perhaps you can harvest some ideas.  Also, a beginner's summary to git
>> workflow:
>>
>> http://rogerdudler.github.io/git-guide/
>>
>> It's a lot to teach in only an hour or two, so if I were teaching I'd
>> keep it simple (basic) and clear (to make sure the students can "keep it
>> in their heads"), and to make sure they have a clear avenue for
>> questions when they get stuck after the class.
>>
>> Stéfan

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov