[Numpy-discussion] Governance model request

James E.H. Turner jehturner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 16:03:33 EDT 2015

I don't think I've contributed code to NumPy itself, but as someone
involved in the scientific python ecosystem for a while, I can't see
why people would consider Continuum less of a legitimate participant
or community member than individual contributors, especially if the
person behind it has had the opportunity to control things previously
and instead passed NumPy onto the community. I'd be wary of commercial
interests dominating the agenda, but that's different from them having
a proportionate (in this case minor) say when they have something to
offer. And that's all true *even if* Travis were heavily biased to his
own commercial ends, which is not consistent with my understanding of
his wider efforts and sacrifices over most of a decade that I've been
paying attention.

Remember this is free/open source software and if enough people don't
like the committee at some point, the project can be forked as an
option of last resort. Nothing is set in stone, nor code lost.

Just saying (I probably won't reply to any criticism or corrections,
to avoid adding peripheral noise/heat to the thread).

Cheers,

James (from, but not on behalf of, a non-profit research facility).