[Numpy-discussion] loadtxt and usecols

Irvin Probst irvin.probst at ensta-bretagne.fr
Mon Nov 9 04:15:04 EST 2015

Hi,
I've recently seen many students, coming from Matlab, struggling against
the usecols argument of loadtxt. Most of them tried something like:
loadtxt("foo.bar", usecols=2) or the ones with better documentation
reading skills tried loadtxt("foo.bar", usecols=(2)) but none of them
understood they had to write usecols=[2] or usecols=(2,).

Is there a policy in numpy stating that this kind of arguments must be
sequences ? I think that being able to an int or a sequence when a
single column is needed would make this function a bit more user
friendly for beginners. I would gladly submit a PR if noone disagrees.

Regards.

--
Irvin