[Numpy-discussion] querying backend information

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 01:37:41 EST 2015

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 5:11 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Stefan Seefeld <stefan at seefeld.name>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > is there a way to query Numpy for information about backends (BLAS,
> > LAPACK, etc.) that it was compiled against, including compiler / linker
> > flags that were used ?
> > Consider the use-case where instead of calling a function such as
> > numpy.dot() I may want to call the appropriate backend directly using
> > the C API as an optimization technique. Is there a straight-forward way
> > to do that ?
> >
> > In a somewhat related line of thought: Is there a way to see what
> > backends are available during Numpy compile-time ? I'm looking for a
> > list of flags to pick ATLAS/OpenBLAS/LAPACK/MKL or any other backend
> > that might be available, combined with variables (compiler and linker
> > flags, notably) I might have to set. Is that information available at
> all ?
>
> NumPy does reveal some information about its configuration and
> numpy.distutils does provide helper methods, but I'm not super
> familiar with it so I'll let others answer that part.

np.show_config()

Gives:

    lapack_opt_info:
        libraries = ['lapack', 'f77blas', 'cblas', 'atlas']
        library_dirs = ['/usr/lib/atlas-base/atlas', '/usr/lib/atlas-base']
        define_macros = [('NO_ATLAS_INFO', -1)]
        language = f77
        include_dirs = ['/usr/include/atlas']
    openblas_lapack_info:
      NOT AVAILABLE
    <etc>

It's a function with no docstring and not in the html docs (I think), so
that can certainly be improved.

Ralf