[Numpy-discussion] binary wheels for numpy?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon May 18 00:56:47 EDT 2015

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 9:45 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 6:34 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 3:06 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > There's the switch to OpenBLAS and building the right selection
>> > mechanism
>> > for which arch to use:
>> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.distutils.devel/20350. That
>> > seems
>> > now feasible to complete on a reasonable time-scale, and the problems
>> > with
>> > OpenBLAS seem to be mostly solved. Binaries which crash for ~1% of users
>> > (which ATLAS-SSE2 would result in) are still not acceptable I think.
>>
>> Where are you getting this SSE2 number from btw?
>
> This is info Matthew just collected from Firefox crash reports:
> https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/4829#issuecomment-100354752

Ah, hmm. I guess it's possible that decade-old machines are less
reliable and overrepresented in crash reports, but who knows :-)

It might become reasonable at some point to just go ahead and put up
binaries (ideally with some check so that they fail in a
human-readable way), and see how many people email us. If it's too
many we can always take the wheels down again.

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith -- http://vorpus.org