[Numpy-discussion] New function `count_unique` to generate contingency tables.

Warren Weckesser warren.weckesser at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 13:48:41 EST 2015

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Eelco Hoogendoorn <
hoogendoorn.eelco at gmail.com> wrote:

> Its pretty easy to implement this table functionality and more on top of
> the code I linked above. I still think such a comprehensive overhaul of
> arraysetops is worth discussing.
>
> import numpy as np
> import grouping
> x = [1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2]
> y = [3, 4, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5]
> z = np.random.randint(0,2,(9,2))
> def table(*keys):
>     """
>     desired table implementation, building on the index object
>     cleaner, and more functionality
>     performance should be the same
>     """
>     indices  = [grouping.as_index(k, axis=0) for k in keys]
>     uniques  = [i.unique  for i in indices]
>     inverses = [i.inverse for i in indices]
>     shape    = [i.groups  for i in indices]
>     t = np.zeros(shape, np.int)
>     np.add.at(t, inverses, 1)
>     return tuple(uniques), t
> #here is how to use
> print table(x,y)
> #but we can use fancy keys as well; here a composite key and a row-key
> print table((x,y), z)
> #this effectively creates a sparse matrix equivalent of your desired table
> print grouping.count((x,y))
>

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Warren Weckesser <
> warren.weckesser at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> The ever-wonderful pylab mode in matplotlib has a table function for
>>> plotting a table of text in a plot. If I remember correctly, what would
>>> happen is that matplotlib's table() function will simply obliterate the
>>> numpy's table function. This isn't a show-stopper, I just wanted to point
>>> that out.
>>>
>>> Personally, while I wasn't a particular fan of "count_unique" because I
>>> wouldn't necessarially think of it when needing a contingency table, I do
>>> like that it is verb-ish. "table()", in this sense, is not a verb. That
>>> said, I am perfectly fine with it if you are fine with the name collision
>>> in pylab mode.
>>>

>> Thanks for pointing that out.  I only changed it to have something that
>> sounded more table-ish, like the Pandas, R and Matlab functions.   I won't
>> update it right now, but if there is interest in putting it into numpy,
>> I'll rename it to avoid the pylab conflict.  Anything along the lines of
>> `crosstab`, `xtable`, etc., would be fine with me.
>>
>> Warren

Hey all,

I'm reviving this thread about the proposed `table` enhancement in
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/4958, because Chuck has poked me (via
the pull request ) about it, so I'm poking the mailing list.  Ignoring the
issue of the name for the moment, is there any opposition to adding the
proposed `table` function to numpy?  I don't think it would preclude adding
more powerful tools later, but that's not something I have time to work on
at the moment.

If the only issue is the name,  I'm open to any suggestions.  I started
with `count_unique`, and changed it to `table`, but Benjamin pointed out
the potential conflict of `table` with a matplotlib function.

Warren