[Numpy-discussion] Sorting refactor

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 11:15:29 EST 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 7:11 AM, Jaime Fernández del Río <
jaime.frio at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 3:33 AM, Lars Buitinck <larsmans at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Message: 2
>> > Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 21:24:00 -0800
>> > From: Jaime Fern?ndez del R?o <jaime.frio at gmail.com>
>> > Subject: [Numpy-discussion] Sorting refactor
>> > To: Discussion of Numerical Python <numpy-discussion at scipy.org>
>> >
>> > This changes will make it easier for me to add a Timsort generic type
>> > function to numpy's arsenal of sorting routines. And I think they have
>> > value by cleaning the source code on their own.
>>
>> Yes, they do. I've been looking at the sorting functions as well and
>> I've found the following:
>>
>> * The code is generally hard to read because it prefers pointer over
>> indices. I'm wondering if it would get slower using indices. The
>> closer these algorithms are to the textbook, the easier to insert
>> fancy optimizations.
>>

> They are harder to read, but so cute to look at! C code just wouldn't feel
> the same without some magical pointer arithmetic thrown in here and there.
> ;-)

Pointers were faster than indexing. That advantage can be hardware
dependent, but for small numbers of pointers is typical.

>> * The heap sort exploits undefined behavior by using a pointer that
>> points before the start of the array. However, rewriting it to always
>> point within the array made it slower. I haven't tried rewriting it
>> using indices

Fortran uses the same pointer trick for one based indexing, or at least the
old DEC compilers did ;) There is no reason to avoid it.

> .
>>
>> * Quicksort has a quadratic time worst case. I think it should be
>> turned into an introsort [1] for O(n log n) worst case; we have the
>> heapsort needed to do that.
>>
>> * Quicksort is robust to repeated elements, but doesn't exploit them.
>> It can be made to run in linear time if the input array has only O(1)
>> distinct elements [2]. This may come at the expense of some
>> performance on arrays with no repeated elements.
>>

> Java famously changed its library implementation of quicksort to a dual
> pivot one invented by Vladimir Yaroslavskiy[1], they claim that with
> substantial performance gains. I tried to implement that for numpy [2], but
> couldn't get it to work any faster than the current code.

For sorting, simple often beats fancy.

> * Using optimal sorting networks instead of insertion sort as the base
>> case can speed up quicksort on float arrays by 5-10%, but only if NaNs
>> are moved out of the way first so that comparisons become cheaper [3].
>> This has consequences for the selection algorithms that I haven't
>> fully worked out yet.

I expect the gains here would be for small sorts, which tend to be
dominated by call overhead.

> Even if we stick with selection sort, we should spin it off into an inline
> smallsort function within the npy_sort library, and have quicksort and
> mergesort call the same function, instead of each implementing their own.
> It would make optimizations like the sorting networks easier to implement
> for all sorts. We could even expose it outside npy_sort, as there are a few
> places around the code base that have ad-hoc implementations of sorting.

Good idea, I've thought of doing it myself.

>> * Using Cilk Plus to parallelize merge sort can make it significantly
>> faster than quicksort at the expense of only a few lines of code, but
>> I haven't checked whether Cilk Plus plays nicely with multiprocessing
>> and other parallelism options (remember the trouble with OpenMP-ified
>> OpenBLAS?).
>>
>> This isn't really an answer to your questions, more like a brain dump
>> from someone who's stared at the same code for a while and did some
>> experiments. I'm not saying we should implement all of this, but keep
>> in mind that there are some interesting options besides implementing
>> timsort.
>>

> Timsort came up in a discussion several months ago, where I proposed
> adding a mergesorted function (which I have mostly ready, by the way, [3])
> to speed-up some operations in arraysetops. I have serious doubts that it
> will perform comparably to the other sorts unless comparisons are terribly
> expensive, which they typically aren't in numpy, but it has been an
> interesting learning exercise so far, and I don't mind taking it all the
> way.
>
> Most of my proposed original changes do not affect the core sorting
> functionality, just the infrastructure around it. But if we agree that
> sorting has potential for being an actively developed part of the code
> base, then cleaning up its surroundings for clarity makes sense, so I'm
> taking your brain dump as an aye for my proposal. ;-)

I have a generic quicksort with standard interface sitting around somewhere
in an ancient branch. Sorting objects needs to be sensitive to comparison
exceptions, which is something to keep in mind. I'd also like to push the
GIL release back down into the interface functions where it used to be, but
that isn't a priority. Another other possibility I've toyed with is adding
a step for sorting non-contiguous arrays, but the sort functions being part
of the dtype complicates that for compatibility reasons. I suppose that
could be handled with interface functions. I think the prototypes should
also be regularized.

Cleaning up the sorting dispatch to use just one function and avoid the
global would be good, the current code is excessively ugly. That cleanup,
together with a generic quicksort, would be a good place to start.

And remember, simpler is better. Usually.

Chuck