[Numpy-discussion] Regarding np.ma.masked_equal behavior

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Sun Jan 4 14:37:44 EST 2015

Personally, I have never depended upon an implicit fill value. I would
always handle it explicitly. Off the top of my head, a project that might
have really good insight into how fill_value should work is the
python-netCDF4 project (so, talk to Jeff Whitaker, I think), and/or the
HDF5 people. I know the netCDF4 package, which supports masked arrays,
takes advantage of fill_value attributes.

Cheers!
Ben Root