[Numpy-discussion] Problems using add_npy_pkg_config

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 17:09:24 EDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 8:45 PM, Christian Engwer <
christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de> wrote:

> distributing a
> build
> >
> > Come on. We don't take it seriously, and neither do the Python core devs.
> > It's also pretty much completely unsupported. Numpy.distutils is a bit
> > better in that respect than Python distutils, which doesn't even get sane
> > patches merged.
> >
> > Try Scons, Tup, Gradle, Shake, Waf or anything else that's at least
> > somewhat modern and supported. Do not use numpy.distutils unless there's
> no
> > other mature choice (i.e. you're developing a Python project).
>
> Sorry, reading my mail again, it seems that I didn't make this point
> clear. I have a project which is python + c-lib. The later which should be
> used by other c-projects as well.

Thanks for clarifying. It makes more sense now:)

> The minimal working example is without any python code, as I only have
> problems with the pkg config file.

I stared at it for a while, and can't figure it out despite you following
the example in the add_npy_pkg_config docstring pretty much to the letter.
When you see that the error is generated in a function that starts with ``#
XXX: another ugly workaround to circumvent distutils brain damage.``,
you're usually in trouble.....

Ralf