[Numpy-discussion] How to install numpy on a box without hardware FPU

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 04:00:37 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Emel Hasdal <emel_hasdal at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to run a python application which performs statistical
> calculations using Pandas which seem to depend on Numpy. Hence I have to
> install Numpy to get the app working.
>
> Do you mean I can change
>
>    numpy/core/src/npymath/ieee754.c.src
>
> such that the functions referencing exceptions (npy_get_floatstatus,
> npy_clear_floatstatus, npy_set_floatstatus_divbyzer,
> npy_set_floatstatus_overflow, npy_set_floatstatus_underflow,
> npy_set_floatstatus_invalid) do nothing?
>
> Could there be any implications of this on the numpy functionality?

AFAIK, few people have ever tried to run numpy on CPU without an FPU. The
generic answer is that we do not know, as this is not a supported platform,
so you are on your own.

I would suggest you just try adding stubs to see how far you can go, and
come back to this group with the result of your investigation.

David