[Numpy-discussion] Deprecate pkgload, PackageLoader

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 14:33:12 EDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 6:05 PM, Julian Taylor
<jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 29.10.2014 05:30, Charles R Harris wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> It is proposed to deprecate, then remove, pkgload and PackageLoader.
>>
>> Complaints? Cries of Anguish?
>
> I don't mind the deprecation, but I have to ask why? is it causing issues?
> it does look like something some people use in their workflows.

Why do you think so? It's old code that was used in scipy/__init__.py,
but we removed it from there years ago. It has been unofficially
deprecated (and widely considered a bad idea) for years. The only
modifications to it in the past 6 years or so have been repo-wide
cleanups, Python 3 compatibility and the like, so it *is* adding to
the maintenance burden for those tasks. Do you know of anyone that is
actually currently using it?

--
Robert Kern