[Numpy-discussion] Copyright status of NumPy binaries on Windows/OS X

Travis Oliphant travis at continuum.io
Wed Oct 8 21:24:34 EDT 2014

Ah, yes,  I hadn't realized that OpenBLAS could not be compiled with Visual
Studio.     Thanks for that explanation.

Also, I had heard that 32bit mingw on Windows could still produce 64-bit
binaries.     It looks like there are OpenBLAS binaries available for
Windows 32 and Windows 64 (two flavors).     It should be straightforward
to take those binaries and make conda (or wheel) packages out of them.

A good mingw64 stack for Windows would be great and benefits many
communities.

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io> wrote:
>
> > Microsoft has actually released their Visual Studio 2008 compiler stack
> so
> > that OpenBLAS and ATLAS could be compiled on Windows for these platforms
> as
> > well.   I would be very interested to see conda packages for these
> > libraries which should be pretty straightforward to build.
>
> OpenBLAS does not compile with Microsoft compilers because of AT&T assembly
> syntax. You need to use a GNU compiler and you also need to have a GNU
> environment. OpenBLAS is easy to build on Windows with MinGW (with
> gfortran) and MSYS. Carl's toolchain ensures that the binaries are
> compatible with the Python binaries from Python.org.
>
> Sturla

Travis Oliphant
CEO
Continuum Analytics, Inc.