[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.9.1, zeros and alignement

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 21:11:49 EST 2014

On 18/11/14 23:10, Pauli Virtanen wrote:

> The second question is whether F2py actually *needs* to check the
> dtype-size alignment, or is just something like sizeof(double) enough
> for Fortran compilers.

The Fortran standard does not specify an ABI so this is likely compiler
dependent.

The only safe way of calling Fortran from C is through a proxy Fortran
routine exported to C using Fortran 2003 ISO C bindings. That is what
f2py should do behind the scenes now that the Fortran 77 limitation is
lifted from SciPy.

With this method we can just pass an arbitrary C pointer to Fortran and
construct a Fortran array pointer with c_f_function. The Fortran
compiler will make an aligned copy of the array referenced by the
pointer if required. No special coding will be required to ensure
correct alignment.

Sturla