[Numpy-discussion] Default builds of OpenBLAS development branch are now fork safe

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Mar 28 14:43:00 EDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I see it should be possible to build a full blas and partial lapack
>>> library with eigen [1] [2].
>>
>> Eigen has a licensing issue as well, unfortunately, MPL2.
>>
>> E.g. it requires recipients to be informed of the MPL requirements (cf.
>> impossible with pip install numpy).
>
> That's not the relevant condition. That's easily taken care of by
> including the MPL2 license text in the binary alongside numpy's BSD
> license text. This is no different than numpy's BSD license itself,
> which requires that the license text be included. It's not like people
> can't distribute any MPL2 project on PyPI just because pip doesn't
> print out the license before installing.
>
> The extra-BSD conditions of the MPL2 are sections 3.1 and 3.2.

Those requirements just say that in addition to including the MPL2
license text, we also have to include a notice saying where the source
code is available, i.e. the package would have to somewhere include a
link to eigen.org.

https://www.mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/FAQ.html#distribute-my-binaries

I'm not sure why this would be a problem.

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith
http://vorpus.org