[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy 1.8.1 release

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 22:28:47 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> 5 seconds waiting on a home internet connection and a numpy install....
>>> Nice.
>>>

>> That's pretty neat. Now if we can get the windows versions to be as easy.
>>

> Indeed -- where are we on that? Wasn't there more or less a consensus to put
> up Windows Wheels with SSE2?
>
> Or did we decide that was going to break a few too many systems...
>
> I also recall that some folks were working with a new BLAS (OpenBLAS ? )
> that might support multi-architecture binaries...that would be a great
> solution.

In another conversation it looked as though OpenBLAS was not robust
enough for a standard distribution.

>From what Julian said elsewhere, we can completely rely on SSE2 being
present for 64 bit, correct? [1]

>From [2] it looks like Windows XP 64-bit is about 20 times less common
than 32 bit XP, meaning likely something less than 2 percent of
Windows users overall.  So - can we build windows 64 bit SSE2 wheels
for windows 7? With ATLAS for example? It sounds like they would be
fairly safe.

Cheers,

Matthew

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#Architectural_features