[Numpy-discussion] Adding weights to cov and corrcoef

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 14:27:01 EST 2014

Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 13:40:40 +0100

> From: Sebastian Berg <sebastian at sipsolutions.net>
> Subject: Re: [Numpy-discussion] Adding weights to cov and corrcoef
>         (Sebastian Berg)
> To: numpy-discussion at scipy.org
>
> On Mi, 2014-03-05 at 10:21 -0800, David Goldsmith wrote:
> > +1 for it being "too baroque" for NumPy--should go in SciPy (if it
> > isn't already there): IMHO, NumPy should be kept as "lean and mean" as
> > possible, embellishments are what SciPy is for.  (Again, IMO.)
> >

> Well, on the other hand, scipy does not actually have a `std` function
> of its own, I think.

Oh, well, in that case forget I said anything.  (Though I think it's
"interesting" that no one else has chimed in: if you're the only one that
needs it (at this time), perhaps it would be best to "roll your own" and
then offer to "pass it around." :-))

DG

> [...]
> >> require getting changes upstream into Cython, etc.), (3) use this
> >> system to actually port some interesting numpy code into cython.
> >

> > Having to synchronise two projects may be hard for a GSoC, no ?
>
> Yeah, if someone is interested in this it would be nice to get someone
> from Cython involved too. But that's why the primary goal is to
> produce a proof-of-concept -- even if all that comes out is that we
> learn that this cannot be done in an acceptable manner, then that's
> still a succesful (albeit disappointing) result.
>
> > Otherwise, I am a bit worried about cython being used on the current C
> code
> > as is, because core and python C API are so interwined (especially
> > multiarray).
>
> I don't understand this objection. The whole advantage of Cython is
> that it makes it much, much easier to write code that involves
> intertwining complex algorithms and heavy use of the Python C API :-).
> There's tons of bug-prone spaghetti in numpy for doing boring things
> like refcounting, exception passing, and argument parsing.
>
> -n
>
> --
> Nathaniel J. Smith
> Postdoctoral researcher - Informatics - University of Edinburgh
> http://vorpus.org
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 10:35:15 -0700
> From: Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Numpy-discussion] 1.8.1rc1 on sourceforge.
> To: Discussion of Numerical Python <numpy-discussion at scipy.org>
>
> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 7:28 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I built (and tested) some numpy wheels for the rc1:
> > >
> > > http://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/numpy-dist/
> >
> > Now building, installing, testing, uploading wheels nightly on OSX 10.9:
> >
> > http://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/builders/numpy-bdist-whl-osx-2.7
> > http://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/builders/numpy-bdist-whl-osx-3.3
> >
> > and downloading, testing built wheels on OSX 10.6:
> >
> > http://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/builders/numpy-bdist-whl-osx-2.7-downloaded
> > http://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/builders/numpy-bdist-whl-osx-3.3-downloaded
> >
> > Chuck - are you release manager for this cycle?  Would you mind
> > sending me your public ssh key so I can give you access to the
> > buildbots for custom builds and so on?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> Julian has done most of the work for 1.8.1. I did the 1.8.0 release because
> it needed doing, but building releases isn't my strong point and Ralf
> actually did the builds for that. So I'll happily send you my ssh, but
> either Ralph or Julian might be a better bet for getting the work done :)
>
> Chuck
>

> End of NumPy-Discussion Digest, Vol 90, Issue 13

"By the time I was an older teenager, a certain...attitude was developing
among the young people...a feeling of utter contempt for anyone over a
certain age--maybe 30 or 40.  The adults had consumed so many resources,
and now there were none left for their own children...when those adults
were younger, they [were] just doing what everybody else was doing...they
figured it was normal to cut down ancient forests for...phone books, pump
every last gallon of oil to power their SUV's...[but] for...my generation
all that was just a dim memory...We [grew up] living in darkness, with
shortages of food and water, with riots in the streets, with people begging
on street corners...for us, the adults were the enemy."

Want to *really* understand what's *really* going on?  Read "Peak
Everything."