[Numpy-discussion] How security holes happen

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 22:17:06 EST 2014

On 03/03/14 03:15, Charles R Harris wrote:
> This is from OS X 9
>
>      if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.update(&hashCtx, &serverRandom)) != 0)
>          goto fail;
>      if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.update(&hashCtx, &signedParams)) != 0)
>          goto fail;
>          goto fail;
>      if ((err = SSLHashSHA1.final(&hashCtx, &hashOut)) != 0)
>          goto fail;
>
> Heh, maybe there is a reason for braces in even the simplest if statements.

It is quite evident in an editor with syntax highlighting. This is
almost too good to be a coincidental coding error. If there ever were a
deliberate backdoor attempt in an OS, it would be something like this.
At least Apple shows us their Darwin code. Nobody get to scrutinize
Microsoft's Windows code in public.

I also amazed that the bugfix was a 500 MB download.

Sturla