[Numpy-discussion] GSoC 2014 NumPy

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 16:42:58 EST 2014

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 5:12 AM, Leo Mao <lmao20001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Ray,
> Thanks for your suggestion! I just read the links you provided and I think
> I can implement it as long as I do further research on zoom fft algorithm.
> So I wonder if this can be a GSoC project?

By itself that's not enough for a GSoC project.

> Maybe I should extend this idea or combine it with other ideas?

It's possible to come up with an interesting proposal in this area I think.
An issue may be that the FFT code in numpy and scipy isn't very actively
worked on at the moment, so finding a suitable mentor could be tricky.

> BTW, just for curiosity, why we need both scipy.linalg and numpy.linalg?
> Is implementing all functions in numpy a bad idea?

The overlap is mostly due to historical reasons. The long-term plan is to
remove duplicate functions from scipy.linalg.

Ralf