[Numpy-discussion] Find n closest values

Eelco Hoogendoorn hoogendoorn.eelco at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 13:05:35 EDT 2014

Well, if the spacing is truly uniform, then of course you don't really need
the search, and you can do away with the extra log-n, and there is a purely
linear solution:

def find_closest_direct(start, end, count, A):
    Q = (A-start)/(end-start)*count
    mid = ((Q[1:]+Q[:-1]+1)/2).astype(np.int)
    boundary = np.zeros(count, np.int)
    boundary[mid] = 1
    return np.add.accumulate(boundary)

I expect this to be a bit faster, but nothing dramatic, unless your
datasets are huge. It isn't really more or less elegant either, id say.
Note that the output isn't 100% identical; youd need to do a little
tinkering to figure out the correct/desired rounding behavior.