[Numpy-discussion] Can't build numpy on my Windows 7 desktop computer

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 30 18:01:03 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Jeffrey Ken Smith <jks257 at cornell.edu>
wrote:

>  I have been unable to install on my Windows 7 desktop computer, which is
> a Dell – I had no problems installing it on my new laptop, which is also a
> Dell. When I try to run the superpack .exe file, I get a message claiming
> that Python2.7 is not in the registry even though it is and even though I
> was able to install pyodbc.

Really bad error message - you are probably trying to install a 64 bit
numpy into a 32 bit python, or vice versa -- make sure you are doing both
the same.

And I recommend the binaries from here:

http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

(or Anaconda or Canopy)

-Chris

>  If I download the zip file and try to use setup.py, I get messages like
>

> “No module named msvccompiler in numpy.distutils: trying from distutils
>
> error: unable to find vcvarsall.bat”
>

> I have no idea what this means or what to do about it.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov