[Numpy-discussion] MKL and OpenBLAS

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 16:33:04 EST 2014

Julian Taylor <jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:

> if this issue disqualifies accelerate, it also disqualifies openblas as
> a default. openblas has the same issue, we stuck a big fat warning into
> the docs (site.cfg) for this now as people keep running into it.

What? Last time I checked, OpenBLAS (and GotoBLAS2) used OpenMP, not the
GCD on Mac. Since OpenMP compiles to pthreads, it should not do this (pure
POSIX). Accelerate uses the GCD yes, but it's hardly any better than ATLAS.
If OpenBLAS now uses the GCD on Mac someone in China should be flogged.

It is sad to hear about stability issues with OpenBLAS, it's predecessor
GotoBLAS2 was rock solid.

Sturla