[Numpy-discussion] using loadtxt to load a text file in to a numpy array

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 17 15:56:42 EST 2014

Small note:

Being an English speaker I don't normally use non-ascii characters in
> filenames but my system (Ubuntu Linux) still uses utf-8 rather than
> latin-1 or
> (and rightly so!).

just to be really clear -- encoding for filenames and encoding for
file content have nothing to do with each-other. sys.getdefaultencoding()
is _supposed_ to be a default encoding for file content -- not file names.

And of course you need to use the system file name encoding for file names!

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov