[Numpy-discussion] Setting up a "newcomers" label on the issue tracker ?

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 15:40:37 EST 2014

The issue with 'low hanging fruit' is that who is it low-hanging fruit
for? Low hanging fruit for a core dev may be days of work for a
newcomer. Also, 'newcomer' doesn't give a good idea of how long it will
take.

I would therefore like to second Tom Aldcroft's suggestion of following
something like what we have in astropy:

- effort-low, effort-medium, and effort-high (=hours, days, long-term)

- package-novice, package-intermediate, package-expert

This really covers the range of options. For newcomers that want to do
something quick you can point them to package-novice & effort-low. When
someone new to the project wants to get more involved (or for e.g.
GSoC), you can point them to e.g. package-novice & effort-high. If one
of the core devs is bored and wants to kill some time, they can go to
package-expert & effort-low.

We've found this very helpful in Astropy and we use it in all related
packages, so I want to put in a strong recommendation for following the
same model here too, and I want to recommend the same for matplotlib and
scipy.

Cheers,
Tom