[Numpy-discussion] NumPy-Discussion OpenBLAS and dotblas

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 17:46:19 EDT 2014

Hi Nathaniel.
Thanks for your prompt reply. I think numpy is a wonderful project, and
you all do a great job moving it forward.
If you ask what would my vision for maturing numpy, I would like to see
a grouping of linalg matrix-operation functionality into a python level
package, exactly the opposite of more tightly tying linalg into the core
of numpy. The orthagonality would allow goups like PyOpenCL to reuse the
matrix operations on data located off the CPU's RAM, just to give one
example; and make it easier for non-numpy developers to create a
complete replacement of lapack with other implementations. Much of the
linalg package would of course be implemented in c or fortran, but the
interface to ndarray would use the well-established idea of contiguous
matrices with shapes, strides, and a single memory store, supporting
only numeric number types.
I suggested cffi since it provides a convienent and efficient interface
to ndarray. Thus python could remain as a thin wrapper over the calls
out to c-based libraries much like lapack_lite does today, but at the
python level rather that the capi level.
Yes, a python-based interface would slows the code down a bit, but I
would argue that
1. the current state of lapack_litemodule.c and umath_linalg.c.src, with
its myriad of compile-time macros and complex code paths, scares people
away from contributing to the ongoing maintenance of the library while
tying the code very closely to the lapack routines, and
2. matrices larger than 3x3 or so should be spending most of the
computation time in the underlying lapack/blas library irregardless of
whether the interface is python-based or capi-based.
Matti