[Numpy-discussion] Preliminary thoughts on implementing __matmul__

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed Aug 6 18:57:57 EDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 4:32 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Should also mention that we don't have the ability to operate on stacked
> vectors because they can't be identified by dimension info. One workaround
> is to add dummy dimensions where needed, another is to add two flags, row
> and col, and set them appropriately. Two flags are needed for backward
> compatibility, i.e., both false is a traditional array.

It's possible I could be convinced to like this, but it would take a
substantial amount of convincing :-). It seems like a pretty big
violation of orthogonality/"one obvious way"/etc. to have two totally
different ways of representing row/column vectors.

--
Nathaniel J. Smith
http://vorpus.org