[Numpy-discussion] Proposed new function for joining arrays: np.interleave

Björn Dahlgren bjodah at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 11:12:05 EDT 2014

Hello,

Interleaving arrays is something I need to do every now and then, and by
the looks of stackoverflow so do others:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12861314/interleave-rows-of-two-numpy-arrays-in-python
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5347065/interweaving-two-numpy-arrays

I think the code needed for the general n dimensional case with m number of
arrays
is non-trivial enough for it to be useful to provide such a function in
numpy, so I took the liberty to
make a Pull Request <https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/4596> with my
implementation. This would be my first contribution to NumPy so I apologize
if something is not adhering to your practices.
 Jaime has already pointed out that I should email this list (I hope I
managed to email the list in
the right way - never used a mailing list before) for you to notice the
pull request. He also pointed
out some improvements of my proposed implementation (not forcing consistent
dtype), but before
I go on and make changes I might need to ask you guys if this is really
something you are interested in including?

 Best regards,
/Björn Dahlgren