[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy 1.8.1 release

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Apr 2 10:44:29 EDT 2014

On Apr 1, 2014, at 4:36 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> We could just ship all numpy's extension modules in the same directory
> if we wanted. It would be pretty easy to stick some code at the top of
> numpy/__init__.py to load them from numpy/all_dlls/ and then slot them
> into the appropriate places in the package namespace.

I like this, and it could play well with wheels and virtualenv.

(which reminds me -- looking at what Anaconda does may be instructive)

> Of course scipy and numpy will still both have to ship BLAS etc., and
> so I guess it will get loaded at least twice in *any* binary install

Since scipy has a strict dependency on numpy, and the same people are
maintaining the builds, couldn't scipy use the libs provided by numpy?
( maybe adding more)

-Chris