[Numpy-discussion] ANN: Numpy 1.8.0 beta 1 release

Christoph Gohlke cgohlke at uci.edu
Tue Sep 3 19:55:46 EDT 2013

On 9/3/2013 4:32 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Christoph Gohlke <cgohlke at uci.edu
> <mailto:cgohlke at uci.edu>> wrote:
>
>     On 9/1/2013 9:54 AM, Charles R Harris wrote:
>
>         Hi all,
>
>         I'm happy to announce the first beta release of Numpy 1.8.0.
>         Please try
>         this beta and report any issues on the numpy-dev mailing list.
>
>         Source tarballs and release notes can be found at
>         https://sourceforge.net/__projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.__8.0b1/
>         <https://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.8.0b1/>.
>         The Windows
>         and OS X installers will follow when the infrastructure issues
>         are dealt
>         with.
>
>         Chuck
>

>     Hello,
>
>     I tried numpy-1.8.0.dev-86a6e6c with msvc9 and MKL 11.1 on
>     win-amd64-py2.7. It builds OK but there are 23 test errors and 6
>     failures (attached).
>
>     Some 3rd party packages (e.g. scipy, numexpr, pytables, bottleneck,
>     pandas and matplotlib) that were built against numpy-MKL 1.7 fail
>     tests when used with numpy-MKL 1.8. Other packages test OK (e.g.
>     skimage, sklearn, statsmodels, mahotas, pygame). See
>     <http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~__gohlke/pythonlibs/tests/__20130902-win-amd64-py2.7-__numpy-1.8.0.dev-86a6e6c/
>     <http://www.lfd.uci.edu/%7Egohlke/pythonlibs/tests/20130902-win-amd64-py2.7-numpy-1.8.0.dev-86a6e6c/>>
>     compared to
>     <http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~__gohlke/pythonlibs/tests/__20130902-win-amd64-py2.7/
>     <http://www.lfd.uci.edu/%7Egohlke/pythonlibs/tests/20130902-win-amd64-py2.7/>>.
>

>     I have not looked in more detail or at other Python versions yet.
>

> It's pretty clear that I will need a windows environment to debug this.
> I have windows 7 running in a virtual machine, and have downloaded the
> vsc9 express compiler and isos. Do I need to burn those guys to a disk
> in order to install or is there some windows magic that will let me
> install them directly from the isos? That done, I assume I can just
> download python 2.7 for windows, clone the repository, and do the usual
> python setup.py install thing. Anything I need to be wary about, any
> pointers?
>
> Chuck

I would not recommend the VS Express version. Instead use the "Microsoft
Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1"
<http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3138>, which
contains compatible 32 and 64 bit compilers for Python 2.6 to 3.2. Use
the web installer or mount the ISO with VirtualCloneDrive
<http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html>. Then, on a command
prompt in the numpy source directory type (not tested, but should work
for 64 bit Python 2.7):

setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
call "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\SetEnv.Cmd"
/Release /x64 /vista
set DISTUTILS_USE_SDK=1
C:\Python27\python.exe setup.py build

Christoph