[Numpy-discussion] char with native integer signedness

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 05:08:01 EDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 12:52 AM, Geoffrey Irving <irving at naml.us> wrote:

> Is there a standard way in numpy of getting a char with C-native
> integer signedness?  I.e.,
>
>     boost::is_signed<char>::value ? numpy.byte : numpy.ubyte
>
> but without nonsensical mixing of languages?

This is for interop with a C/C++ extension, right? Do this test in that
extension's C/C++ code to expose the right dtype. As far as I know, this is
not something determined by the hardware, but the compiler used. Since the
compiler of numpy may be different from your extension, only your extension
can do that test properly.

--
Robert Kern