[Numpy-discussion] Robust Sorting of Points

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 16:22:34 EDT 2013

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Freddie Witherden
<freddie at witherden.org> wrote:
> On 27/10/13 18:54, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:

>>> Not exactly; in your case the distance between a and b is of the order
>>> epislon.  However, my points are "all unique and separated by a
>>> reasonable distance."  This requires at least one of the components of
>>> any two points to differ in all instances, permitting an ordering to be
>>> defined.  (Where if epislon ~ 1e-12 the minimum instance between any two
>>> points is of order ~ 1e-6.)
>>
>> Do you mean that all you points are distributed around some fixed points
>> in your space?  In this case, it looks like what you are looking for is
>> categorization or clustering and not sorting.  Once you perform
>> clustering, you can simply define an arbitrary order in which report the
>> content of each cluster.  If this is not the case, the problem that
>> Nathaniel highlishts is still present.
>
> I am not entirely sure what you mean here.  If x is my array of points
> of size (16, 3) then I am guarenteeing that
>
>   np.min(scipy.spatial.distance.pdist(x)) >= 1e-6
>
> In this instance I am unsure how the issue highlighted by Nathaniel
> might arise.  Of course it is (very) possible that I am missing
> something, however, I believe under the terms of this constraint that it
> is always possible to define an order with which to iterate through the
> points which is invarient to shuffling of the points and small
> pertubations of the components.

If the epsilon or scale depends on the column, then, I think, divmod
should work to cut off the noise

>>> my_array[np.lexsort(divmod(my_array, [1e-1, 1e-12, 1])[0].T)]
array([[-0.5       ,  0.        ,  1.41421356],
       [ 0.5       ,  0.        ,  1.41421356]])

Josef