[Numpy-discussion] "official" binaries on web page.

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 12:36:07 EDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 6:07 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> > 22.10.2013 06:29, Chris Barker kirjoitti:
> >> If you go to numpy.org, and try to figure out how to install numpy,
> >> you are most likely to end up here:
> >>
> >> http://www.scipy.org/install.html
> >>
> >> where there is no mention of the binaries built by the numpy project
> >> itself, either Windows or Mac.
> >
> > The links are there: http://www.scipy.org/install.html#custom
>
> Boy! that's subtle -- I literally looked at least 3-4 times and didn't
> notice.
>
> It seems a bit odd that they are under "custom", and kind of as a side
> note:
>
> "projects’ sites may also offer official binary packages (e.g. numpy,
> scipy library)"
>
> and "may" -- this is the official site, and we don't _know_ if
> binaries are provided?
>
> Anyway, a lot of effort goes into those, it'd be nice for it to be
> more prominent.

You can argue with the exact wording, but the layout of that page is on
purpose. scipy.org is split into two parts: (a) a SciPy Stack part, and (b)
a numpy & scipy library part. You're looking at the stack part, and the
preferred method to install that stack is a Python distribution.

If you look at the library part, the binary installers are at the top of
the page: http://www.scipy.org/scipylib/download.html

Cheers,
Ralf