[Numpy-discussion] switching from Numeric to numpy

Raul Cota raul at virtualmaterials.com
Fri Oct 18 16:34:44 EDT 2013

John,

Just noticed this message,

We are already cleaning up all of our code to not be numpy based but for
porting from Numeric to numpy:

In our C code we settled for the following,

#define NUMPY

#if !defined(NUMPY)
     #include "arrayobject.h"
#else
     #include "numpy/oldnumeric.h"
#endif

And this,

#ifdef NUMPY
     pyArray = (PyArrayObject *) PyArray_SimpleNew( 1, dims,
PyArray_DOUBLE);
#else
     pyArray = (PyArrayObject *) PyArray_FromDims( 1, dims, PyArray_DOUBLE);
#endif

And I think that was all the changes we needed and while we were
transitioning we could easily compile for Numeric or numpy.

Most of our headaches were on the python code because of very subtle
things but even there, the bulk of the changes worked out rather nicely
using the oldnumeric stuff.

Raul