[Numpy-discussion] strange runtimes of numpy fft

Henry Gomersall heng at cantab.net
Wed Nov 20 06:06:32 EST 2013

On 19/11/13 17:52, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

>> >This is on shaky GPL ground. I'm inclined to agree with you, but given
>> >any usage necessarily has to link against the FFTW libs, any resultant
>> >redistribution is going to be GPL by necessity. I.e. pyFFTW is useless
>> >without FFTW so it's just simpler to make it GPL for the time being.
> The case where it makes a difference is when someone has purchased a
> commercial license to FFTW and then wants to use it from their
> proprietary Python application.

Yes, this didn't occur to me as an option, mostly because I'm keen for a
commercial FFTW license myself and it would gall me somewhat if I
couldn't gain the same benefit from my own code as others.

So, given that, if anyone has an FFTW license and is keen for decent
Python wrappers, I'd be more than happy to discuss a sub-license to FFTW
in exchange for a more liberal (say MIT) license for pyFFTW.

Cheers,

Henry