[Numpy-discussion] nanmean(), nanstd() and other "missing" functions for 1.8

Daπid davidmenhur at gmail.com
Wed May 1 10:14:22 EDT 2013

On 1 May 2013 03:36, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:
> Are there any other functions that others feel are "missing" from numpy and
> would like to see for v1.8?  Let's discuss them here.

I would like to have sincos, to compute sin and cos of the same number
faster. According to some benchmarks, it is barely slower than just
computing one of them.

On 1 May 2013 07:13, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
>> Of course, the documentation for discussed before: np.minmax().  My thinking is that it would return a 2xN array
>
> How about a tuple: (min, max)?

Consider the case of np.minmax(matrix, axis=1), you will end up with a
tuple of two arrays. In that scenario, you probably want to do
computations with both numbers, so having them in an array seems more
convenient.

If there is enough reason, we could always add a "unpack=True" flag
and then return a tuple.